Slovakia / Poland
Network: complete information on wide Tatry region
Town of Vysoke Tatry
The town of Vysoke Tatry was founded in 1947.
The administrative centre of the town is Stary Smokovec,
which together with Tatranska Lomnica and Strbske Pleso
is one of the three most important Tatra tourist centres.
The town is located in the central part of the High Tatras mountains
and is comprised of the fifteen independent settlements.
The central transport link for the town is based upon
the road which together with Tatra Electric Train line
connects the western Tatra settlement of
Podbanske with Tatranska Kotlina in the east.
Vysoke Tatry settlements
- Podbanske - below the majestic mountain Krivan, is the western gateway to the High Tatras.
- Strbske Pleso - the highest settlement in Slovakia the most famous Tatra ski resort as well.
- Vysne Hagy
- the construction of the extensive sanatorium changed the original character of the settlement.
- Nova Polianka
- does not offer accommodation or restaurant facilities.
- Tatranska Polianka
- the principal function of the settlement is healing of respiratory illnesses.
- Tatranske Zruby
- the settlement focuses on recreation for military personal but is open to the public as well.
- Novy Smokovec
- with the part of housing estates for permanent residents.
- Stary Smokovec
- the oldest Tatra settlement is now the administrative center of Vysoke Tatry,
as well as the center for retail, shops, banks and exchange services.
- Horny Smokovec
- was formed in the second quarter of 20th century as a group of pensions and small rest houses.
- Dolny Smokovec
- the largest Tatra spa centre for the treatment of upper respiration diseases.
- Tatranska Lesna
- the group of guest houses the largest of which became a center of recreation for children.
- Tatranska Lomnica
- the largest of all Tatra settlements
is a significant ski centre with slopes on Skalnaté Pleso (tarn) or directly within the settlement.
- Tatranske Matliare -
a suitable starting point for hiking in the east part of the Tatras.
- Kezmarske Zlaby -
is a good starting point for exploring Dolina Zeleneho Plesa (the Green Valley Tarn).
- Tatranska Kotlina -
with the Cave open to public.
Towns and regions